Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mitt Romney Makes Big Bird A Star Of The 2012 Presidential Debate

Red? Blue? No, no. Regardless of your political platform, we can all agree the real winner of last night's debate was yellow!

It's no secret that politics are often for the birds, but that took on a whole new meaning Oct. 3 when Governor Mitt Romney discussed cutting PBS' funding during the 2012 presidential debate. 'I'm going to stop the subsidy to PBS,' he said, adding, 'I like PBS, I like Big Bird.' And you better believe Big Bird's ears were burning!

That night:

As soon as Mitt dropped the B-bomb, a Big Bird parody Twitter account ' which existed long before the debate ' chimed in with ridiculous commentary:

'So I'm suddenly popular now because Governor Romney mentioned me'.f**k you guys,' @BigBird tweeted Oct. 3. 'I'm trending tonight bc of this debate? Kiss my yellow ass. I've been here all along. I taught you to f***ing read and then you bailed.'

(True story, @BigBird.)

A second parody account, @BigBirdRomney, was created immediately following Mitt's statement ' move over, @AngiesRightLeg ' and flooded Twitter with commentary throughout the night. My personal favorite tweet was a photo of Grover being arrested for getting a little too heated over the whole situation.

The morning after:

Because Sesame Street is far more clever and awesome than anyone gives it credit for, the PBS series chimed in about Big Bird's role in the debate.

'Big Bird: My bed time is usually 7:45, but I was really tired yesterday and fell asleep at 7!' Sesame Street tweeted the morning of Oct. 4. 'Did I miss anything last night?'

Sesame Street's production company Sesame Workshop, meanwhile, has wisely chosen not to pick a side.

'We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization,' Sesame Workshop tweeted shortly after. 'We do not comment on campaigns, but we're happy we can all agree that everyone likes Big Bird!'

And that's a platform we can all support.

' Andy Swift

Follow @AndySwift


More Sesame Street news:

  1. Cookie Monster Spoofs Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' ' Watch
  2. Jerry Nelson, Voice Of The Count On 'Sesame Street,' Dead At 78
  3. Katy Perry Sexes Up Elmo In A Low Cut Top On 'Saturday Night Live'


No comments:

Post a Comment